At Ingleton C of E Primary School we are guided by the National Curriculum for Art & Design
The National Curriculum for Art & Design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Art & Design Curriculum Statement
At Ingleton C of E Primary School our Art and Design curriculum aims to engage, inspire, and challenge pupils. It aims to equip children with the knowledge and skills needed to experiment with and create their own works of art and design. During their time at Ingleton C of E Primary School , each child will have their own sketchbook to design, practice and develop their skills and unique artworks. This will evidence a progression of techniques throughout the school years. Art and Design is an important part of our curriculum and it is our aim to engage and inspire all children through creative planning opportunities. We believe that Art and Design encourages children to develop their creativity, nurture their imagination and provides children with a variety of ways to express their thoughts, feelings and emotions. We aim to give all children the confidence to express themselves through a range of chosen mediums. Our children are given the opportunities to experiment with a range of different materials, to use drawing, painting and sculpting techniques to bring their ideas to life, and to practice art and design techniques when using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space. As the children progress they will be encouraged to progress their skills through experimentation and developing their control and finesse. We want our children to know how Art & Design has contributed to our culture and understanding of our history and the world, in particular the uniqueness and heritage of our local area. Our children will focus on a variety of key artists linked to their topics and they will begin to understand the development of their particular art forms. The children will have opportunities to take inspiration from these key artists and create their own artworks in their particular styles. At Ingleton C of E Primary School, we hope to foster and continually grow a love of Art and Design as the children progress through our school, giving all of our children the opportunities and skills needed to develop their understanding and techniques; succeeding and developing their achievements.
As part of this planning process, teachers need to plan the following:
- A sequence of thoughtfully planned lessons, which carefully plan for progression and depth concentrating on the skills and techniques appropriate to the age group.
- Challenge questions for pupils to apply their learning in a philosophical/open manner.
- Trips and visiting experts who will enhance the learning experience.
- Appropriate curriculum themed home learning tasks which children complete with adults at home.
Our Art and Design Curriculum is high quality, inspiring and is planned to demonstrate progression. If children are keeping up with the curriculum, they are deemed to be making good or better progress. In addition, we measure the impact of our curriculum through the following methods:
- Teachers assess children’s work in relation to each lesson’s learning challenge, using the traffic light system as stated on our marking policy.
- Pupil discussions about their learning.
- The Head Teacher and Subject Leader monitor Art and Design, reviewing learning and provide constructive feedback to help progress learning. Staff CPD is identified and booked accordingly.
- Regular monitoring as a staff throughout the year to evaluate the impact of the curriculum.